You may experience “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue when you try to establish “FortiClient VPN Connection” in Windows 10/11. And this article will let you know about the methods to resolve it.
Let’s take a look at what this issue is and how you can resolve it.
What is “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue?
FortiClient offers application firewall, antivirus scanning, vulnerability scanning, IPSec VPN, WAN Optimization, web filtering, and more. It is an endpoint security solution and has a built-in VPN client also. Its ultimate focus is to offer endpoint & network security by connecting the endpoint with “Security Fabric”. The “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” is mainly a VPN connection issue that most users face when they connect to VPN successfully but can’t access the internet. VPN works well with Wi-Fi but accessing the internet via FortiClient VPN Connection becomes impossible.
One possible reason behind it may be the interference of the “Windows Firewall”. The reason is that Firewall often denies a connection due to security reasons. And to fix this issue, you may disable it temporarily. You may also disable the 3rd party Antivirus Software on your PC to fix it. One more reason behind this issue may be the configuration of network settings. You just need to make some changes in the settings for resolving the “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue.
Apart from this, the issue may also occur due to any problem with “FortiClient VPN App” itself. So, under such circumstances, just uninstall the app and reinstall it again to get rid of this issue.
Here are some of the solutions you can look for while resolving “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue.
Methods to Resolve “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” Issue
Now since you’ve got an idea about the reasons behind this issue, you can apply any of the following methods in order to resolve it.
Use “PC Repair Tool” to fix the issue
If the issue is due to any problem with your PC, you can resolve it with “PC Repair Tool”. This software helps you find EXE errors, DLL errors, BSOD errors, malware issues, registry issues, any problems with the programs or any such issue and fix them. So, just download the tool and use it to fix the “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue on your PC.
Use “Command Prompt” to fix the issue
Here are some of the steps to use this method:
- Press “Windows + X” on your keyboard and then choose “Command Prompt as Administrator”.
- In “Command Prompt”, type these two commands “ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew” and click on “Enter” after executing them.
- After doing it, try to establish “FortiClient VPN Connection” and try to access the internet.
Check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Reset DNS Settings
The “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” may also occur because of incorrect DNS settings. You can just check it and reset it in order to resolve the issue. Here’s how you can do it:
- Use the method mentioned above for opening “Command Prompt as Administrator”.
- Type “ping 184.108.40.206” and click on “Enter” for executing it. You also have the option of replacing it with the address you want to ping.
- If you get any response from ping, that means the issue is with “DNS Settings”. Just reset it for fixing the problem.
- After that, Press “Windows + X” on your keyboard and then choose “Network Connections”.
- Right-click on the connection that is in your use and click on “Properties”.
- In that window, click on “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and then click on “Properties”. After that, click on “Obtain IP Address Automatically” and then on “Obtain DNS Server Automatically”.
- Click on “OK” then for saving the changes.
See whether the issue is resolved or not.
Check the Internet Connection
Disconnect “VPN Connection” and see whether you can access the internet using Wi-Fi or mobile data. If there is no issue in internet connection with other sources, but VPN is still causing problems, then there is undoubtedly an issue with “VPN connection” and not the internet. But if there is an issue with your internet connection, try to resolve it as quickly as possible. For example, using a wired connection instead of a wireless option is one way to do it.
Another way is to restart your computer or turn off and then turn on the Wi-Fi in order to fix the glitches that sometimes arrive temporarily.
Change “VPN Protocol”
It is quite possible that your “FortiClient VPN” is using a protocol which is temporarily or permanently banned in your country, which made you face the “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue. You can try “PPTP”, “OpenVPN TCP”, or “L2TP” protocol to resolve this issue. For this purpose, just open VPN settings and choose the protocol from the list there, except for the one that is banned in your region.
Flush “DNS Cache”
Here are the steps to flush the DNS cache.
- First of all, press “Windows + X” on your keyboard and then choose “Command Prompt as Administrator” in windows 10.
- Type “Flushdns” command and then click on “Enter” for executing it.
- Once you execute it, see if the “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue is resolved.
Adjust your “Proxy Settings”
Following are the steps you can use to adjust your “Proxy Settings”.
- First of all, type “Internet Options” and open the results.
- In the opened window, press “Connections” tab and then click on “LAN Settings”.
- Unselect all the checkboxes but not “Automatically Detect Settings”. After that, click on “Apply” and then on “OK” for saving the changes.
There can be multiple reasons behind the “FortiClient VPN Connected but not working” issue, and there are multiple ways to resolve it. You just need to identify the specific issue and use the relevant method then. And if nothing seems to work, just contact “FortiClient VPN Support” to get help. That will surely work.